Books for adults on separation and divorce :
• Raising the Kid you Love with the Ex you Hate by Ed Farber
• Child Friendly Divorce: A Divorce: A Therapist’s Guide to
Helping Your Children Thrive by Diane M. Berry, 2004.
• The Good Divorce: Keeping Your Family Together When Your
Marriage Comes Apart by Constance Ahrons, 1994.
• Collaborative Divorce: The Revolutionary New Way to Restructure
Your Family, Resolve Legal Issues, and Move on with Your Life by Pauline
Tessler and Peggy Thompson, 2006.
• Mom’s House, Dad’s House: Making Two Homes for Your Child by
Isolina Ricci, 1997.
• Helping Your Kids Cope with Divorce the Sandcastles Way by
Patricia Romanowski, M. Gary Neuman, 1999.
• Growing Up with Divorce by Neil Kalter
• The Truth About Children and Divorce by Robert Emery, Ph.D
• How it Feels When Parents Divorce by Jill Krementz
Books for young children on separation and divorce:
• At Daddy’s on Saturday by Linda Walvoord Girard. 1987.
• Dinosaurs Divorce by Marc Brown and Laurie Krasny Brown, 1988.
• I Don’t Want to Talk About it by Jeanie Franz Ransom, 2000.
• Loon Summer by Barbara Santucci, 2005.
• Mama and Daddy Bear’s Divorce by Cornelia Maude Spelman, 1998.
• Was it the Chocolate Pudding? by Sandra Levins and Bryan
• We’re Having a Tuesday by D.K. Simoneau, 2006.
• Two Homes by Claire Masurel, 2003.
• When Mom and Dad Divorce by Emily Menendez-Aponte.
Books for older children on separation and divorce:
• What in the World do you do When Your Parents Divorce? A
Survival Guide for Kids by Kent Winchester and Roberta Beyer, 2001.
• Mom’s House, Dad’s House for Kids: Feeling at Home in One
Home or Two by Isolina Ricci, 2006.
• A Smart Girls Guide to Her Parents Divorce by Nancy Holyoke,
American Girl Publishing, 2009.
Documentary on Divorce (for Parents and/or to watch with Older Children/Teens)
HBO- “Don’t Divorce Me” . You can go to HBOGo.com to download the video.
A synopsis is available at: http://www.hbo.com/documentaries/dont-divorce-me-kids-rules-for-parents-on-divorce/synopsis.html
This is not an endorsement of any particular resource mentioned above. Every family is different, as are their needs. This is intended for informational purposes only. If you would like to discuss any of your concerns with Dr. Sanders, she can be reached at (703) 919-1959.